Author: The King
- 1 large egg yolk*
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¾ cup canola oil, divided
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and ½ teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
- Using ¼ teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add ¼ cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining ½ cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.