- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 8 thick (1/2-inch/1 cm) slices multigrain bread
- 4 slices Gruyère cheese
- 4 thin slices ham
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Béchamel: In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, whisking, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread mustard over 4 of the bread slices; top each with 1 slice each Gruyère cheese and ham. Top with remaining bread. Brush butter over outsides of bread.
- Heat large ovenproof skillet over medium heat; brush with oil. Cook sandwiches until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Pour béchamel onto sandwiches, without dripping down sides; sprinkle with shredded Gruyère cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and light golden, 2 to 4 minutes.